Unit Clerk - PD Unit 800 Adult Surgical
Contributes to patient care through the coordination of clerical and hospital functions on assigned patient care or technical unit. Receives admitted patients, initiates patient files, takes action on doctors’ orders, processes discharges, transfers and expirations, and prepares hospital reports. Provides general staff support by assisting with patient scheduling and/or preparation, standard computer inquiries, and other routine tasks. Maintains supply levels for units and reports unit needs for housekeeping, hospitality and maintenance services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Exhibits excellence in customer service through appropriate attitude and interaction with all patients, visitors and staff.
Performs receptionist duties for patient care or technical area; receives, initiates, and directs telephone calls and messages.
Assists visitors, staff, and patients by providing directions to hospital locations or calling for an escort when necessary.
Participates in quality initiatives.
Operates a personal computer, calculator, FAX machine, copy machine, scanner and related office machinery.
Receives and dispatches communications, via phone, intercom, Vocera, fax and mail.
Receives messages, flowers, newspapers, and other items and notifies appropriate personnel; verifies that patient has not been discharged and returns flower deliveries for discharged patients; delivers or arranges for the delivery of items to patients and appropriate personnel.
Facilitates radiological procedures in accordance with protocol and assists patients and radiology staff in accordance with established patient care protocols.
May also serve as an instructor to other Unit Clerks; provides orientation and guidance as needed and assists in orientation of other department personnel.
Processes and maintains records of admissions, transfers, discharges, and deaths.
Orders supplies and services as directed.
Schedules appointments, surgeries, lab collections and/or other procedures; notifies patients, patient family, or appropriate departments of dates, times, or any changes.
Archives and copies image data as requested and transfers images to computer applications.
Assists with the transport of patients when necessary.
Assists clinical staff as needed.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMCH organizational and department-specific safety and confidentiality policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED), or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: None required, preferred six (6) months of related experience.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: None required .
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of appropriate customer service interaction skills as it relateus to greeting and assisting by phone or in person.
· Skill in presenting a professional demeanor when assisting patients, even when they may be at their worst.
· Skill in multi-tasking and setting priorities so the most critical are performed first.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
· Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
· Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
· Applicants must have basic computer familiarity and experience and the ability to operate office equipment, calculator, FAX machine, copy machine, scanner and changing technology in performing assigned duties.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT :
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may potentially be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 30682