Transcriptionist Per Diem - HIM Transcription
Performs as a medical language specialist who transcribes and interprets dictation by physicians and other healthcare providers in order to document patient care. Routinely researches questions and educates others involved with patient care documentation. Receives a variety of assignments with different requirements from different originators. Medical language specialists at this level are able to resolve non-routine problems independently, or assists in resolving complex or highly unusual problems.
Utilizes knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, disease processes, signs and symptoms, medications, laboratory values, and a broad knowledge of specialties to transcribe patient care documents in an accurate and timely manner.
Utilizes knowledge in use of patient demographics as provided by various applications and interfaces.
Operates dictation/transcription equipment efficiently.
Maintains a 98.5% or better accuracy rate.
Complies with productivity standards of an average minimum of 150 lines per hour with time management scores 10% or less.
Maintains all equipment provided by Tucson Medical Center.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree (GED), including successful completion of appropriate coursework in Anatomy and Physiology; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of related records transcription experience, preferably in an acute care setting.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: None required; preferred Certified Medical Transcription (CMT).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, disease processes, signs and symptoms, medications and laboratory values.
- Knowledge of a specialty or specialties as appropriate.
- Knowledge of medical transcription guidelines and practices.
- Skill in the English usage, grammar, punctuation, style and editing.
- Skill in listening to ensure comprehension.
- Ability to use an extensive array of professional reference materials in hard copy and on-line.
- Ability to operate dictation and transcription equipment as specified and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure with time constraints.
- Ability to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze situations and provide solutions for operational efficiency.
- Ability to understand and apply relevant legal concepts such as confidentiality.