Surgical First Assist - Main OR - Heart Team - $7500 sign-on bonus with experience!
The Main OR has 14 Operating Rooms that include: 2 Endovascular rooms, 2 Open Heart rooms, 1 Cysto room, 1 da Vinci Robot room, and 1 Pediatric room. Services include: General Surgery (Adult and Peds), ENT (Adult and Peds), Urology (Adult and Peds), Vascular, Thoracic, Heart, Neuro, Podiatry, Ophthalmology, and Oral Surgery. The Operating Room is staffed 24/7. Pre-Op Holding (POH) is staffed Monday through Friday from 0530-1930 and on-call Saturday and Sunday 0645-1500. PACU is staffed 24/7 with call to accommodate surgeries.
First Assistant collaborates with the surgeon in performing a safe surgical procedure to maximize patient outcomes. First Assistant is a member of the surgical team and provides knowledge of surgical anatomy, operative techniques related to the operative procedure. Provides aid in exposure, hemostastis, closure, and other intraoperative duties, as well, as preoperative and postoperative duties under the direction and supervision of the surgeon.
Prepares rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment necessary for area of specialty. Monitors and restocks supplies.
Completes skin preparation and draping
Opens sterile supplies and sets up for procedures.
Provides wound exposure through proper use of retractors so surgeon may clearly view operative site.
Through use of suction and sponges, provides a dry field of operation to permit optimum vision of tissue, viscera, vessels, etc.
Provides homeostasis by use of clamps, cautery, ligation,
May complete partial wound closure subcutaneous tissues and skin only under direct supervision of the surgeon.
Applies in application of special dressings such as circumferential elastic bandages and taping
Assists in maintaining correct count of instruments, sutures, and sponges.
Decontaminates instruments, supplies and equipment according to established policies and procedures; handles and stores instruments, equipment and supplies appropriately.
Communicates and interfaces with team members, patients, and medical staff to ensure high quality patient care.
Transports patients to and from Operating room suite; position patients according to type of surgery.
Performs biological and chemical monitoring in accordance with quality assurance standards.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Reports any unusual incidents to circulating nurse
Assists in identifying, collecting, and caring for specimens.
Assists in dismantling tables and instruments after procedure
Assembles special operating tables such as fracture tables, positioning devices
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associate’s Degree or equivalent from a two-year college in specialty area, plus accredited Surgical First Assist training program; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) to eight (8) years experience as a First Assist with 350 logged cases in last 4 years; or preferred, CSFA Certification plus two years experience as a First Assist.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate and Certified Surgical First Assist (CSFA) or Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA) designation; or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) and at least 350 cases and two (2) full years of First Assist experience during the last four (4) years and CSFA Certification within one year of employment or equivalent military training and case log per NBTSA criteria and CSFA Certification within one year of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of surgical assist procedures and best practices.
- Knowledge of a surgical support required for a specialty such as orthopedics.
- Skill in the sterilization and set up for different surgical procedures.
- Skill in providing assistance during surgical procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs and apply basic algebraic concepts.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.