Supv Sterile Processing
Provides on-site support for the reprocessing of surgical instruments and sets in compliance with the Department of Health, TJC, OSHA, CDC, AAMI, and AORN standards and facility’s goals and policies. Supervises sterile processing functions and provides daily work guidance and on-the-job training for other technicians. Provides supervisory responsibility and leadership for all activities performed in the 24-hour operation of the Sterile Processing Department; ensuring sterilization of supplies and instrumentation to Surgery and ancillary departments in the hospital.
Displays leadership skills, problem identification, problem solving, assignments, communication, motivation, evaluations, daily direction of personnel and disciplinary action.
Demonstrates the expertise necessary to teach Sterile Processing technicians decontamination, proper care and handling of instruments, sterilization and case assembly. Provides educational in-services, as needed.
Supports and participates in the continuous assessment and improvement of the quality of services provided.
Acts as liaison to maintain excellent rapport with surgical staff and surgeons.
Provides input as necessary for completing monthly variance reports and annual budgets.
Assists Manager with development of departmental goals and objectives.
Understands and complies with Infection Control, Safety, CDC, ARON, CMS, AAMI and OSHA procedures and regulations and monitors technician compliance.
Demonstrates a positive role model in all behaviors, attitude and work performances.
Performs supervisory functions; prepares work schedules, assigns staff, observes performance for formal evaluations, and makes recommendations for personnel actions; assists in staff selection and provides training and orientation for employees.
Analyzes daily operations and implements needed changes.
Supports daily operations of all activities that relate to the reprocessing of reusable medical supplies and instrumentation including decontamination, cleaning, assembly, wrapping, sterilization, and storage processes with all ser professional standards and regulations.
Conducts and records mechanical, chemical, and biological monitoring of the steam autoclaves. Recognizes improper functions and reports findings.
Maintains detailed records for each sterilizer; identifying the operator, load contents, lot numbers, monitoring results, temperature, exposure, and time in accordance with AAMI, AORN, and CMS standards.
Responds to STAT requests timely and accurately.
Trains new personnel on procedures and provides informal guidance to coworkers; ensures work is completed in a timely and efficient fashion; observes performance to provide input to management for evaluations or other personnel actions.
Exhibits excellence in customer service through appropriate attitude and interaction with all staff.
Demonstrates and upholds established standards of behavior, safety, and confidentiality, as well as TMCH and department policies and standards.
Adheres to and supports staff in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience; Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school preferred. Completion of a Scrub Technician program preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of sterile processing experience, minimum of one year experience in a leadership role
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Must obtain one of the following certifications by January 31, 2020: Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) or Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS) through the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM). Or the Tech Exam (CSPDT) through the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of infection control and universal precautions when reprocessing patient care equipment.
· Extensive knowledge of instrumentation and sterilization equipment/process.
· Effective interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
· Verbalizes and demonstrates the ability to perform accurately and efficiently in all areas of Sterile Processing.
· Knowledge of infection control procedures.
· Skill in preparing orders and delivering supplies and equipment to units or OR.
· Skill in organizing work for efficiency while pulling and delivering instrumentation.
· Skill in basic computer applications and keyboarding.
· Ability to sterilize a variety of equipment and supplies.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to respond to needs in a fast paced environment.
· Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action. ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
· Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.