Sterile Processing Technician I
Under supervision, assembles and maintains reusable equipment and instruments, disinfects and inspects patient use and specialized single instruments and trays, collects equipment and instruments from units returning them for processing. Disassembles and decontaminates instruments and equipment in preparation for further processing. Operates and maintains washers, decontaminators, heat sealers, case carts and other associated equipment and machinery dedicated to processing instruments and accessories. Receives requests for equipment or instruments via telephone, printer or status board. Delivers requested equipment or instruments to OR procedures areas and all ancillary procedural areas served, as needed. Maintains compliance with the Department of Health, TJC, OSHA, CDC, AAMI, and AORN standards and facility’s goals and policies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Supports daily operations of all activities that relate to the reprocessing of reusable medical supplies and instrumentation including scanning and tracking, decontamination, cleaning, inspection, assembly, wrapping, sterilization, and storage processes with basic knowledge of professional standards and regulations.
Inspects patient instruments and reusable equipment and assesses for functionality and safety; enters work orders for repairs into computer system.
Prepares cases for OR by conducting an inventory review of OR suites and single peel packed instrumentation and collects needed items designated by preference cards to case specific carts to ensure optimal levels of stock are available.
Orders and restocks single instrumentation, trays, and equipment as needed, returns unused instruments and trays to their designated spot as deemed via the tracking system, and regularly reviews for damaged or non-repairable instrumentation to be removed from service for repair or replacement. Ensures cleanliness and sterility are maintained during transport.
Differentiates between steam and Sterrad supplies-package instrumentation and equipment according to specifications and appropriate method of sterilization.
Operates & understands the sterilization process. Loads and unloads sterilizers according to departmental and AAMI standards.
Performs, under supervision, quality control checks and maintains standards as required by TJC, AORN, and AAMI on all process related equipment
Conducts and records mechanical, chemical, and biological monitoring of the steam autoclaves and peroxide based sterilizers. Recognizes improper functions, reports findings, and calls for repairs.
Maintains detailed records for each sterilizer; identifying the operator, loads contents as scanned into tracking system, lot numbers, monitoring results, temperature, exposure, and time in accordance with AAMI, AORN, and CMS standards and documents all into the tracking system..
Responds to STAT/Priority requests on a timely and accurate basis.
Exhibits excellence in customer service through appropriate attitude and interaction with all customers, including but not limited to patients, visitors and staff.
Participates in the daily cleaning of the department. Maintains flexibility and performs other related duties as required by surgery schedule.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience. Completion of a Scrub Technician program preferred.
EXPERIENCE: None required. One (1) year of sterile processing experience preferred.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: AAMI Certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of storage and stock rotation of all instrumentation stored in the department.
- Knowledge of infection control and universal precautions when reprocessing patient care equipment.
- Knowledge of instrumentation.
- Skill in preparing orders and delivering supplies and equipment to units or OR.
- Skill in organizing instrumentation for quick viewing and access.
- Skill in organizing work for efficiency while pulling and delivering instrumentation and collecting returns.
- Skill in basic computer applications and keyboarding.
- Ability to sterilize a variety of equipment and supplies.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to respond to needs in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers; ability to read a clock and accurately document time.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 30985