RN Review Analyst
Performs medical record review, data analysis, and structured auditing in support of Clinical Risk Management, and Quality initiatives. Maintains multiple data bases and provides summary statistics in relevant graphical format. Under the supervision of the Director of Clinical Risk Management, develops relevant action plans for risk reduction.
Reviews medical records for concerns regarding risk. Uses clinical judgment, published standards of care, and Tucson Medical Center policy to determine potential quality of care issues.
Analyzes current operations, policies, systems, and procedures, and suggests innovative changes to appropriate sources including Nursing, Director of Clinical Risk Management, Director of Professional Staff Services and Director of Quality.
Prioritizes and organizes workflow for maximum efficiency, including maintaining productivity standards for chart abstraction completion within prescribed time frames.
Interprets test and procedure results such as lab values, EKG’s, invasive monitoring documentation, fetal monitor strips, operative reports and discharge summaries against norms established by appropriate standards, including the Conditions of Participation and Joint Commission.
Operates abstracting software and Microsoft Office products and prepares spreadsheet reports and analysis using EXCEL.
Prepares communications and presents information in a clear, concise and professional manner with all levels of personnel including nursing management and physicians.
Maintains an adequate filing system so that information can be quickly retrieved.
Performs focused reviews as determined and assigned by the Director of Risk Management or the Chief Medical Officer. Facilitates Professional Staff peer review meetings including follow-up documentation and correspondence.
Subscribes to and upholds established standards of behavior.
Works collaboratively and supports efforts of other team members.
Supports quality improvement initiatives through team participation, data collection, process change and other activities.
Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times, including patient information, proprietary information and personnel information.
Adheres to organizational and department-specific safety standards and guidelines.
Adheres to TMC values of integrity, diversity, accountability, compassion and teamwork.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years RN recent acute care nursing experience
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Active unrestricted RN license within the State of Arizona, or NLC.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of nursing and patient care best practices.
- Skill in evaluating cases and determining correct processes and training others to ensure maximum effectiveness.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret medical periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints from employees, physicians, patients and/or their representatives, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs; ability to apply basic algebraic concepts.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to recognize areas of need, and recommend and implement strategies for improvement.