Respiratory Therapist ( Part-time or PRN) - NCCH
Northern Cochise Community Hospital - Willcox, AZ
Summary: Respiratory Care Practitioner / Respiratory Therapist (Part Time or PRN) serves patients and assist physicians/providers in the diagnosis, management, treatment, and prevention of disease by providing cardiopulmonary care services in accordance with specific physician’s/provider’s orders, department policies and procedures.
PART TIME SCHEDULE: 2 Days and 2 Nights On-Call
This position requires a commitment to teamwork, collaboration and department scheduling needs i.e. good attendance, attitude, customer services, communication skills, etc.,
Special Conditions: Subject to on call and call back after hours and weekends and during emergency conditions.
Position is Safety Sensitive / Drug Free Workplace / Vaccination Requirements.
Supervision Received: Works under the direct supervision of the Cardio/Pulmonary Manager or designated administrator. Exercises progressive levels of autonomy in day-to-day activities based on satisfactory job performance.
Provides safe and appropriate cardiopulmonary services to patients.
- Accurately reads and verifies physician/provider orders.
- Communicates effectively with health care team.
- Follows The 5 Rights of Medication to reduce potential for medication errors.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatments to include, but are not limited to: nebulizers, patient ventilation, airway management, and monitors for possible side effects.
- Performs diagnostic testing functions to include, but are not limited to: arterial blood gas collection, pulmonary function testing, electrocardiograms, and cardiac stress test tracings.
- Assesses patient’s needs and ability to tolerate treatment and provides reassessment for patient’s response to treatment.
- Educates patient on cardiopulmonary issues and includes patient’s family as appropriate.
- Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain patient cooperation, facilitate understanding, and alleviate patient apprehension.
Maintains up-to-date and accurate documentation of care provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team to ensure quality care.
- Maintains/reviews patient records, charts and other pertinent information.
- Documents all care, procedures, medication administration, communication with ancillary departments and providers, and family interactions and interventions.
Ensures operation of equipment by performing preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment .
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly, or as needed, maintenance on instruments and equipment as appropriate.
- Performs calibration of equipment as required.
- Runs proficiency testing by established protocols.
- Follows established procedures for quality control and reports discrepancies to the appropriate supervisor.
Performs collection and pre-analytical process of biological specimens for analysis.
- Collects specimens directly from patients -- such as blood, sputum, etc.,
- Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans / Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.
- Works with infection control to follow proper precaution protocols.
Maintains current knowledge/certification/licensure. Pursues professional growth and development.
- Maintains a current knowledge and understanding of differences in techniques and treatment modalities as performed on patients of all ages.
- Participates in professional growth functions and performance improvement activities.
- Attends skills fairs and in services as applicable.
- Participates in tracking Quality Measures.
- Completes annual competencies as required.
Provides employee mask fit testing services.