Registered Nurse (RN) Nurse Navigator - TMCOne - Oracle Office
In collaboration with physicians and administrators, provide coordination for a specific patient population’s journey through a treatment plan established by a multidisciplinary team of physicians and surgeons and other caregivers. Coordinates patient’s care plan, facilitates patient appointments, including those made with labs, diagnostic areas, and specialty physicians; responsible for communication and overall program interaction with other disciplines. Provides necessary resource information to the patient and family along the continuum of care.
Serves as a liaison between physicians and hospital staff to enhance relationships. Collaborates with administration, management, and staff across the organization to improve oncology patient pathway. Works with Administration and multidisciplinary team to develop and grow the Oncology program through a variety of education and quality measures.
Assist patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment options, and the resources available, including educating eligible patients about appropriate options, technologies and resources. Facilitate appointments for consults and support services within established service standards, including social workers, dietitians, physician, rehabilitation, etc.
Develop concise patient summaries for use by the care team, and document recommendations made utilizing standardized care protocols in accordance with nationally recognized care guidelines.
Consults and collaborates with members of the health care team in the assessment and management of the patient’s journey through diagnosis, treatment, and recovery; functions as a liaison between physicians, nursing, technologists and area support staff.
- Coordinate multidisciplinary planning conferences, tumor boards, grand rounds, etc.
- Formulates and develops plans, procedures and programs to meet specific training needs and problems for patients, physicians and hospital care team.
- Assists in research and development directly related to oncology services.
- Designs a primary care physician education strategy that adheres to screening guidelines and best practices for cancer work-ups.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and revision of nursing protocols and standards of care related to the program.
- Researches and provides advice on patient care processes, nursing processes, and larger-scale quality improvement projects.
- Identifies operational opportunities to improve of services and physician satisfaction; communicates those opportunities for improvement to the appropriate personnel.
- Participates in professional organizations and actively networks to share information and ideas.
- Assists in setting standards of practice patterns among physicians and surgeons treating cancer patients.
- Maintains compliance with appropriate regulatory, federal, and state mandated requirements.
- Participates in and coordinate unit Quality Improvement Program on a regular and continuing basis.
- Works with Cancer Registry staff and others to collect data; documents, tracks and monitors medical outcomes. Utilizes data to continuously improve treatment of cancer patients and to support strategic planning processes.
- Acts as liaison and educational resource between physicians, administration, and hospital staff to enhance oncology program and patient care.
- Works with Professional Staff, THMEP and physician organizations to coordinate and support physician activities/committees as requested. Maintains records of training activities for CME related programs.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a qualified, nationally-accredited nursing program. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required. Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years of related experience, preferably in an acute care setting with experience as a health/patient educator or patient advocate, preferred area of clinical experience in the program area for the position.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Current RN licensure permitting work in the State of Arizona and current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of nursing care and assessment best practices.
Knowledge of regulations and policies as it relates to patient evaluation, care and information.
Knowledge of the clinical components related to the program assigned.
Knowledge of integrated medicine modalities.
Skill in evaluating comprehensive health assessments and evaluating results
Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Knowledge of oncology treatments, side effects and ancillary services
Skill in providing analytical and deduction analyses.
Skill in organization and ability to multi-task.
Skill in providing compassion, integrity and ability to work with a wide range of disciplines.
Skill in problem solving, decision-making and critical thinking.
Skill with a variety of computer applications such as: Microsoft Office competency required; including spreadsheets and statistical data (as well as programs related to quality improvement and tracking projects).
Ability to be sympathetic and provide emotional support to the patient and family throughout the care continuum
Ability to maintain positive attitude through often stress conditions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedure protocols.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints from patients and/or their representatives, and the general public.
Ability to work with concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions, and to apply mathematical operations to solve or analyze job-related situations.
Ability to identify positive or negative variances from expected outcomes.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to provide excellent leadership, organizational analyses, written and verbal communications and excellent interpersonal skills
Ability to work in a self-directed environment, with an ability to work with teams.
Ability to implement professional and community based education programs.