Registered Nurse (RN) Nurse Navigator - Perinatal
In collaboration with physicians and administrators, provide coordination for a specific patient population’s journey through a treatment plan established by a multidisciplinary team of physicians and surgeons and other caregivers. Coordinates patient’s care plan, facilitates patient appointments, including those made with labs, diagnostic areas, and specialty physicians; responsible for communication and overall program interaction with other disciplines. Provides necessary resource information to the patient and family along the continuum of care.
Serves as a liaison between physicians and hospital staff to enhance relationships. Collaborates with administration, management, and staff across the organization to improve patient care. Works with Administration and multidisciplinary team to develop and grow the program through a variety of education, resource, and quality measures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF ONCOLOGY NAVIGATOR:
- Assist patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment options, and the resources available, including educating eligible patients about appropriate options, technologies and resources. Facilitate appointments for consults and support services within established service standards, including social workers, dietitians, physician, rehabilitation, etc.
- Develop concise patient summaries for use by the care team, and document recommendations made utilizing standardized care protocols in accordance with nationally recognized care guidelines.
- Consults and collaborates with members of the health care team in the assessment and management of the patient’s journey through diagnosis, treatment, and recovery; functions as a liaison between physicians, nursing, technologists and area support staff.
- Coordinate multidisciplinary planning conferences, tumor boards, grand rounds, etc.
- Formulates and develops plans, procedures and programs to meet specific training needs and problems for patients, physicians and hospital care team.
- Assists in research and development directly related to oncology services.
- Designs a primary care physician education strategy that adheres to screening guidelines and best practices for cancer work-ups.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and revision of nursing protocols and standards of care related to the program.
- Researches and provides advice on patient care processes, nursing processes, and larger-scale quality improvement projects.
- Identifies operational opportunities to improve of services and physician satisfaction; communicates those opportunities for improvement to the appropriate personnel.
- Participates in professional organizations and actively networks to share information and ideas.
- Assists in setting standards of practice patterns among physicians and surgeons treating cancer patients.
- Maintains compliance with appropriate regulatory, federal, and state mandated requirements.
- Participates in and coordinate unit Quality Improvement Program on a regular and continuing basis.
- Works with Cancer Registry staff and others to collect data; documents, tracks and monitors medical outcomes. Utilizes data to continuously improve treatment of cancer patients and to support strategic planning processes.
- Acts as liaison and educational resource between physicians, administration, and hospital staff to enhance oncology program and patient care.
- Works with Professional Staff, THMEP and physician organizations to coordinate and support physician activities/committees as requested. Maintains records of training activities for CME related programs.
Performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF PERINATAL NURSE NAVIGATOR:
Oversight of Women and Children Service Line Community Classes
- Evaluates the educational needs of the community and works with subject matter experts to customize the educational program to fit community needs.
- Monitors support and enrollment activities of the courses.
- Develops enrollment reports and class success rates.
- Develops new classes and events.
- Works with the director on budgets for upcoming classes and events.
- Evaluates instructor effectiveness and provides feedback, counseling, guidance, problem solving, and professional development.
- Helps to resolve student and instructor complaints and problems.
- Monitors educational programs to ensure they meet quality control standards by conducting needs assessments, designing learning environments, reviewing class evaluations and providing instructor training and evaluation.
- Develops positive working relationships with all departments; and interacts with staff regarding planning, coordination and requesting services.
- In collaboration with the Director, provides input to the departmental marketing plan. Promotes classes and programs.
- Assists with the development of goals and its mission by providing information on the relevance of educational programs offered, enrollment statistics and profitability.
- Coordinates with outlying Community outreach
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from a qualified, nationally accredited nursing program required. Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years of related experience, preferably in an acute care setting with experience as a health/patient educator or patient advocate, preferred area of clinical experience in the program area for the position .
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Current RN licensure permitting work in the State of Arizona and current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate .