Registered Nurse (RN) Clinical Nurse Lead - Adult Medical Surgical (Unit 750)
Adult Medical Surgical Unit 750
This is a 33 bed unit that cares for patients with multiple diagnoses ranging from pneumonia to congestive heart failure to gastrointestinal bleeds. This is a unique environment that promotes team work, innovation, compassion, dedication, integrity, and is built upon a diverse group of talented caregivers.
Supervises and coordinates activities of nursing personnel in one or more patient care units, perioperative OR specialty or specialty project or program areas. Verifies that patients’ needs are met and evaluates nursing care provided. Assigns duties to professional and auxiliary nursing personnel in accordance with patient needs. Oversees maintenance of patient clinical records and compiles reports on medical services rendered. Maintains established inventory standards for medicines, solutions, supplies and equipment and accounts for narcotics discrepancies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Provides leadership during schedule conflicts, unplanned changes in activity, last minute deadlines and crisis situations.
Plans, directs, and implements care to patients in accordance with physicians’ orders, policies and procedures; serves as monitor and scrubs for diagnostic and interventional procedures.
Identifies patients at high risk requiring advanced nursing judgment; utilizes holistic assessment, identifies relevant aspects of situations and determines the appropriate course of action to move patient/family, and staff towards expected outcome(s).
Provides, manages and coordinates care; applies analytical reasoning, rational problem-solving skills, using evidence-based information and clinical judgment; acts as clinical resource to other staff members
Works closely with Directors, Support Services, Materials Management, Supervisors and other personnel to establish and maintain inventory levels, medicines, specialty supplies and equipment.
Consults and communicates with physicians to ensure proper care and follow up of patients.
Assist with unit needs assessment of equipment, environment, new technology, for the development of capital budgeting in conjunction with unit manager.
Maintains knowledge of standards of care, job performance and hospital/department polices and procedures demonstrated through leadership of self and staff.
Assists in the orientation of new personal demonstrated in skills list assessment completion, incidental and planned education of staff.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties assigned.
Oversees EP area and coordinates with Cardiac Cath Lab lead to better evaluate staffing and schedule needs, training required, materials management, and provides recommendations for efficiencies.
Identifies patients at high risk requiring advanced nursing judgment; utilizes holistic assessment, identifies relevant aspects of situations and determines the appropriate course of action to move patient/family, and staff towards expected outcome(s). Requires advanced life support certification (ACLS and PALS).
Provides oversight and training while participating in the rapid response, stroke, and code team responses for critical patient care. Maintains NRCPR Database and runs abstracts to evaluate performance for quality control and recommends improvements as required. Receives and reviews preceding critical care shift reports and floor nurse reports; makes complete rounds of all units, and notes patients' condition.
Designated and supported by the hospital as the pediatric liaison to work in conjunction with the ED nurse manager and the ED medical director to ensure compliance with and documentation of the pediatric continuing education of all emergency department staff. Maintains a data summary and work in conjunction with the multidisciplinary CQI committee to coordinate criteria-based review and follow-up of sample pediatric emergency department visits.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a qualified, nationally-accredited nursing program.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years of related experience, or preferred five (5) years of current critical care or perioperative specialty in an acute care setting.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Current RN licensure permitting work in the state of Arizona, CPR, or advanced life support certifications such as ACLS and PALS; and any necessary Unit Specific certificates/licenses. For Hospice, Mental Health, & Pediatrics areas, valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card within 6 months of hire & for Mental Health only Crisis Prevention Instruction (CPI) required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of critical care techniques, tools and responses required to ensure optimal patient care.
- Knowledge of processes and procedures to follow during a rapid response, code, or stroke call.
- Some Positions: Knowledge of electrophysiology and cardiac cath lab procedures and best practices.
- Some Positions: Knowledge of surgery specialties and how to prepare, assess and provide post-operation patient care to ensure best practices are followed.
- Some Positions: Knowledge of chart abstraction, education and marketing for the Chest Pain, CHF and Stroke programs.
- Skill in evaluating performance and recommending improvements.
- Skill in developing training materials and educating staff in the proper responses for critical care issues.
- Skill in the use and maintenance of computer systems and programs, especially NRCPR, PC File and Folder, Word, EXCEL, e-mail and attachment capabilities, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Skill in communicating with staff involved in critical care, and physicians to ensure the proper care of patients.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.