Patient Care Technician - Ortho
Responsible for direct patient care services on a specific unit under the supervision of an RN or Case Manager. Provides personal care and assists with the implementation of selected portions of a care plan including respiratory services, rehabilitation services, and phlebotomy under the supervision and direction of a Registered Nurse.
Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times, including patient information, proprietary information and personnel information.
Formulates and implements accurate and timely care.
Takes care of the body after death.
Assists patients with activities of daily living.
Takes vital signs, weighs patients, and collects routine urine specimens; cleans catch specimens, stool specimens, and sputum specimens.
Maintains patient safety and infection control standards; promotes a safe therapeutic environment that allows for the delivery of high quality patient care.
Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and discharges; monitors and restocks supplies.
Performs dressing changes and treatments using aseptic technique; opens sterile supplies and sets up for procedures.
Discontinues IV lines and performs EKGs.
Completion of student Med/Surg clinical rotation. Maintains professional growth and development through a minimum of 12 hours annual in-services.
- BSN students – eligible the summer before their last two or three semesters in nursing school, depending on the graduation date.
- ADN students – eligible the 3rd semester or between 3rd and 4th semester depending on the program.
Performs expanded nursing procedures specified in skills list.
Promotes a safe, therapeutic environment.
Documents and reports outcome of patient care activities; charts observations and vital signs on assigned patients in legible, accurate, and appropriate format following hospital and unit procedures.
Checks equipment, supplies and accessories on a regular basis; notifies appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs needed.
Participates in the orientation of new program personnel and in the ongoing in-service education of the team.
Performs finger sticks.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree (GED), or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) months of patient care experience, preferably in an acute care setting; or no experience if completed one semester of clinicals in an accredited A.D.N. nursing program, or completed two semesters of clinicals in an accredited BSN nursing program, or completed an EMT program, or completed an Medical Assistant (MA) program, or completed a Patient Care Tech (PCT) program, or completed a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program, or part of internal TMCH PCT Training Program.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required. Additional certifications may be required per department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of patient care protocols and practices.
- Knowledge of general patient care practice, methods and regulations.
- Knowledge of patient privacy regulations.
- Skill in attending to patients with care and attention to needs.
- Skill in assisting with more complex patient care programs.
- Ability to recognize a patient in distress and follow directions to get assistance.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Ability to speak effectively in front of doctors, nurses, staff and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 31094