Patient Access Lead - Benson Hospital
Benson Hospital Position Description
Job Title: Patient Access Lead Department: Admitting
Reports To: Business Office Manager
The Patient Access Lead will be responsible for coordinating the day to day
functions of the admitting department. This will include patient flow, input
accuracy, call offs and any other duties assigned by the Business Office Manager
or CFO. Over sees employees engaged in scheduling, registration, insurance
verification, orders, admitting and/or transferring outpatients, inpatients, and/or
ED patients. Ensures that documentation is accurate, financial information is
verified, and provides information to appropriate units in a timely manner.
1. Oversees the daily activities of the Outpatient and Emergency Room admitting
areas to insure departmental standards are being met along with monitoring and
maintaining patient flow.
2. Assumes on-call responsibilities to insure adequate staffing exists. Coordinates
call offs in the admissions department and finds coverage when needed. Utilizes
problem-solving skills when appropriate.
3. Coordinates the day to day patient flow in the admissions department.
4. Coordinates the accuracy of input in the admissions department.
5. Monitors wait time of patients in the outpatient department and serves as
backup/additional resource for admissions.
6. Assists Business Office Manager to insure all personnel and department
policies/procedures are being followed.
7. Sets an example for staff to follow and exemplifies the ability to register all
patient types while exceling in the core functions performed by the Admitting
8. Maintains QA statistics (including patient wait times, etc.) and report results to
the Business Office Manager.
9. Implements and Coordinates admitting training to include policies, admitting
procedures and ongoing support.
10. Assists Business Office Manager in educating admitting staff of any changes
pertinent to their roles and with onboarding new hires.
11. Ongoing review of admitting performance with remedial training as needed.
12. Monitors collection statistics and is responsible for collecting copays/deductibles
13. Receives payments in the following ways: in facility, over the phone, mail, easy
pay and e-mail. Posts payment to the patient accounts.
14. Responsible for ensuring all needed supplies are requisitioned from the
15. Assists in resolving all employee and patient concerns for the admitting
pg. 2 Patient Access Lead Updated: DComeau 10/218 Approved HR:ADickey
16. Answers inquiries that patients may have on their account regarding their
insurance or billing and contacts the appropriate source.
17. Explains patient charges to patients if they have questions.
18. Documents bankruptcy notices on patients when received per policy.
19. Compiles monthly turns and verifies all documentation is available for the bad
20. Answers and researches any questions that arise from the bad debt company
regarding accounts that have been turned.
21. Files Lien paperwork when requested.
22. Actively participates in admission meetings when they are held.
23. Understands and supports personnel policies.
24. Maintains a safe, clean comfortable environment as evidenced by observation.
Identifies and reports potential and active environmental safety hazards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
2. 2 years related medical billing, insurance, and scheduling experience, preferably
in a lead or supervisory role.
3. Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints
from employees or patients, and/or their representatives, and the public.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of
that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this
job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with
hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may potentially be exposed
to infectious organisms during routine and emergency situations. The noise level
in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the associate for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.