OR Manager - Main OR
Relocation assistance available - This position is located in Tucson, AZ
The Main OR has 14 Operating Rooms that include: 2 Endovascular rooms, 2 Open Heart rooms, 1 Cysto room, 1 da Vinci Robot room, and 1 Pediatric room. Services include: General Surgery (Adult and Peds), ENT (Adult and Peds), Urology (Adult and Peds), Vascular, Thoracic, Heart, Neuro, Podiatry, Ophthalmology, and Oral Surgery. The Operating Room is staffed 24/7. P
Administers, organizes, integrates and evaluates the activities on the Main (2nd floor) Operating Room. Accountable and responsible for the delivery of safe, effective, direct and indirect care for the patient undergoing surgery in the Main Operating Room (2nd floor).
Manages staff; interviews, hires and trains; evaluates employee performance; deals with performance problems as appropriate; delegates work assignments effectively.
Assists in managing department budget. Monitors effectiveness of Main Operating Room in relation to objectives and costs.
Possesses the technical skills to act quickly, knowledgeably and appropriately in any situation that may occur in the Main Operating Room.
Designs, with agreement from Director of Nursing (DON) and implements the specific staffing plan related to the current surgical volume and block allocation.
Monitors patient acuity/staffing through the bi-weekly productivity report and takes appropriate action.
Serves as a resource and role model for staff.
Plans, evaluates, recommends and implements new initiatives when appropriate
Provides safe environment for patients and caregivers, compliant to EOC rules, AORN recommendations and all regulatory requirements.
Facilitates development of unit specific standards of care aligned with AORN best practices with realistic and measurable patient care outcomes.
Provides orientation for the medical staff to the 2nd floor Operating Room.
Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with TMC surgeons, vendors, and anesthesia.
Supports and promotes a positive image of TMC when dealing with patients and others inside and outside the organization.
Promotes an optimum environment in which the patient care team can accomplish mutually developed goals.
Investigates patient complaints and/or incidents, initiating corrective and/or disciplinary action.
Responsible for formulating and administering policies, plans, budgets and programs for the OR department.
Ensures compliance with requirements of federal, state and community agencies, regulatory authorities, and hospital policies and procedures.
Selects and monitors preceptors in development of their role to facilitate new grad hires incorporation into the unit staff.
Ensures the design, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs for staff.
May provide education planning, documentation, and record keeping for assigned unit(s).
Provides for safe transportation of all patients to and from the surgical services departments.
Seeks support from the admissions and PAT departments to facilitate prompt arrival of patients and accumulation of required documentation for all surgical patients.
Reviews and proactively identifies issues and solutions of the daily OR schedule.
Ascertains surgical suite allocation based on surgeon requirements, equipment needs and functionality.
Manages the daily operations of the Main Operating Room’s needs for inpatient bed. Ensures effective communication with the Bed Control Unit that will optimize the organization’s resources.on process.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing. (Some positions may substitute a Bachelor’s Degree in a related healthcare field plus relevant experience/training related to the specific skill area, such as Vascular-Urology Lab.)
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of Operating Room relevant nursing experience with mastery of the role and competencies, evidence of leadership, teaching and interpersonal skills, and documentation of professional development.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Current RN license permitting work in the state of Arizona and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Life Support certification. CNOR certification required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of critical care techniques, tools and responses required to ensure optimal patient care.
- Knowledge of processes and procedures to follow during a rapid response, code, or stroke call.
- Knowledge of surgery specialties and how to prepare, assess and provide intraoperative patient care that ensures best practices are followed.
- Knowledge of infectious diseases, OSHA and CMS requirements, microbiology and surveillance practices for infection control.
- Skill in evaluating performance and recommending improvements.
- Skill in managing and training staff.
- Knowledge of position control strategies and forecasting staffing needs.
- Skill in strategic planning and developing staffing plans to meet not only current needs but future needs.
- Skill in analyzing financial, staffing and production reports to effectively evaluate staffing criteria.
- Skill in communicating with staff involved in surgical care, and physicians to ensure the proper care of patients.
- Skill in developing training materials and educating staff in the proper responses for surgical care issues.
- Skill in the use and maintenance of computer systems and programs, especially NRCPR, PC File and Folder, Word, EXCEL, e-mail and attachment capabilities, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledgeable of regulatory and accreditation compliance (CMS, DOH, OSHA, AORN, AAAHC)
- Ability to create analyze reports to evaluate staffing needs based on a wide variety of statistical data.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to communicate both in writing and verbally in order to lead, teach and report on issues and effectively deal with difficult situations.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate efforts of a diverse team of care providers.
- Maintain a positive attitude even during periods of stress and challenge.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 16087