Nuclear Medicine Technologist
$2,500 Sign-On Bonus
Candidates with 2+ years of experience $5,000
Performs nuclear medicine procedures inclusive of organ imaging and function studies; assists physician in therapeutic use of radioisotopes. Administers isotope dosage accurately following established department procedures; accurately records dosage administered; observes patient during procedure and reports any unusual occurrences to appropriate personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Ensures operation of imaging equipment by following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, maintaining equipment inventories, evaluating new equipment and techniques.
Transfers, positions, and instructs patients regarding the procedure in order to obtain and affect the desired imaging diagnostic results as specified by the physician.
Maintains production and quality of images by following established standards, guidelines, and/or procedures; developing images, observing results; making necessary adjustments.
Works as a member of the healthcare team including physicians, nurses and other health care professionals in diagnostic testing procedures.
Adheres to medical and surgical asepsis and standard precautions as required per procedure.
Practices radiation protection techniques, minimize radiation to patient and staff, following established safety protocols.
Maintains a safe and clean work environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
Prepares room and equipment for patient.
Prepares the patient and explains the procedure; observes the patient’s status before, during and after procedure.
Identifies patient service requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
Gains patient cooperation by reducing anxieties; providing explanations of examinations and procedures, answering questions.
Maintains inventory control; checks equipment, supplies and accessories on a regular basis; performs routine daily equipment maintenance and cleaning.
Performs clerical duties and transports patients as required.
Uses all department systems, including order entry, scheduling, patient location, and transport, and radiology information system.
Assists with quality control/performance improvement measures as required.
Assists in the clinical education of students and peers.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
EXPERIENCE : One (1) year of related CT/MRI or Nuclear Medicine experience preferred, but not required.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION:
Nuclear Medicine : Arizona Medical Radiologic Technologist Board of Examiners certification (MRTBE) and National Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB) or American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT-N) All specialties must possess an active Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of field related scanner use and application and the proper use to allow for accurate evaluation and reading by physicians.
· Knowledge of how to transfer images from disk to magnetic media to produce transparencies.
· Skill in placing the patient to ensure proper and most accurate scanning.
· Skill in providing quality control for completeness of transparencies and scans, and monitoring and using equipment.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
· Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
· Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
· Ability to calculate figures and compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs; ability to apply basic algebraic concepts.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.