Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Coordinator (MBS)
Develops comprehensive Bariatric programs focused on long-term maintenance and overall wellness in the pre and post operative period through diet, exercise behavior and lifestyle management. Serves as liaison between physicians, hospital and patients to provide continuum of care and counseling with physicians’ direction for this special population of patients.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Develops comprehensive programs and counseling for Bariatric patients with focus on fitness and wellness.
Develops and delivers patient and staff educational programs, counseling sessions, maintains the Bariatric Surgery database, facilitates and chairs meeting and committees.
Facilitates patient support group sessions. Educates patients through individual discussions, group classes, and community speaking engagements.
Interacts with surgical services to provide optimal experiences in the operating room for bariatric patients and physicians. Develops relationship with patients to provide care in post-operative areas.
Verifies patients’ needs are met and evaluates nursing care provided. Identifies high risk patients requiring advanced nursing judgment; utilizes holistic assessment, identifies relevant aspects of situations and determines the appropriate course of action to move patient/family and staff towards expected outcomes.
Oversees maintenance of patient clinical records and compiles reports on medical services rendered.
Contributes through unit needs assessment of equipment, environment, new technology, for the development of capital budgeting in conjunction with unit manager
Assists in the orientation of new personnel incidental and planned education of staff
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Reviews, updates and coordinates patient care and protocol implementation through on-going communication and conference participation with other interdisciplinary staff.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Performs related duties assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Nutrition or related field.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years nursing or dietician experience. Experience in clinical education or teaching in a healthcare setting is desired.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Certificate of Adult Weight Management. Additional certification may be required for some units.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and skills in providing care, counseling and education to Bariatric patients in hospital settings.
- Skill in leading and training staff in bariatic care needs and evaluating performance to effectively determine where there might be needs for improvement.
- Skill in evaluating performance and recommending improvements.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence; ability to listen and accurately interpret others' communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Skill in communicating with staff involved in patient care, and physicians to ensure the proper care of patients.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs; ability to apply basic algebraic concepts.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.