Medical Assistant - Integrative Pain Specialist
Provides clerical assistance and basic patient care under the direction of the Registered Nurse, and/or Program Director, and/or Medical Director. Or assist in the delivery of primary health care and patient care management under the direct guidance of a physician as well as the polices and protocols of Tucson Medical Center.
Formulates and implements accurate and timely care.
Takes vital signs, weighs patients, and collects routine urine specimens, cleans catch specimens, stool specimens, and sputum specimens; draws blood from patient and return test tubes to the laboratory.
Performs dressing changes and treatments using aseptic technique.
Routinely checks expiration dates and ensures all medications are properly stored and expired drugs properly disposed of.
Obtains prior authorizations, manages referrals, assists with the scheduling of procedures and performs other related tasks to assist physician and patient.
Calls patients regarding test results, follow-up appointment visits, and missed appointments. Schedules patient visits and assists with their medical needs.
Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and discharges; monitors and restocks supplies.
Opens sterile supplies and sets up for procedures.
Charts observations and vital signs on assigned patients in legible, accurate and appropriate format following hospital and unit procedures
Applies restraints as directed by nurse, per hospital policy.
Promotes a safe therapeutic environment that allows for the delivery of high quality patient care.
Notifies appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs needed.
Participates in the orientation of new program personnel and in the ongoing in-service education of the team; participates in ongoing staff education.
Receives, handles and transfers phone calls, and messages within the department promptly and courteously.
Escorts patients to and from the exam room, takes vital signs and notes reason for visit. Documents all clinical interactions with patients and signs documentation.
Posts information to records; maintains files and records; inputs and retrieves data utilizing knowledge of various computer software packages.
Transcribes orders; schedules appointments.
For TMC Wound and Hyperbaric oxygen Clinic, TMC Integrative Pain Specialists, or TMC Infusion clinic: Under the supervision of a licensed independent practitioner (NP, PA, MD, DO):
- Administers injectable non-controlled substance medication (excluding intravenous administration) and the application of topical medications following TMC’s medication administration policy.
- Witness the RN completing a patient pill count.
- Review discharge instructions and related discharge teaching with the patient and document this in the patient record.
- Transcribe and verify patient completed admission intake forms into the EMR: prior to arrival (PTA) medications, history, allergies, pain level, screening questions, OB gyn status, vitals, Opioid risk Tool/CAGE, blood, urine, saliva drug screen testing/transcribe results, and enter discharge instructions. Complete consent forms. For sedation procedures document: the pre-op checklist, physician led Time Out checklist, and vitals.
- Assist the physician during procedures that do not require sedation but may require fluoroscopy:
- Actively participate in a physician lead pre-procedure “time out” for all invasive procedures
- Under the direction of the physician, appropriately prep and hold medication vials while the provider draws up medication to administer to a patient during a sterile procedure.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) months of medical assistance experience.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Written proof of completion of recognized Medical Assistant course. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.