Manager Lab Technical Services
Manages and leads staff involved in technical departments of laboratory services, under the direction of the Director of Laboratory Services. Identifies, develops and implements efficient and effective clinical and anatomic pathology services. Coordinates, and facilitates quality assurance and continuous performance improvement programs and processes throughout the laboratory to meet all regulatory requirements, to ensure customer satisfaction, and to establish and maintain a quality environment.
Manages the technical services side of the Laboratory Department involving the supervision, evaluation and instruction of staff. May stand in for Director as needed.
Maintains membership on, or consults with appropriate committees, work groups or task forces as needed, for process improvement, business development and marketing of Laboratory services.
Provides and communicates current regulatory guidelines, legislative changes and accreditation criteria to laboratory management team and sections of the laboratory ensuring that the Quality Assurance Program fulfills all accreditation and regulatory requirements as defined by CAP, JCAHO, CLIA, AABB, and other state and federal agencies and affiliations.
Acts as change agent with Directors, management team, and quality improvement teams to drive continuous process improvement. Coordinates and establishes the annual quality assurance calendar to ensure all quality improvement and monitoring activities are completed in a timely manner.
Develops and proposes improvement projects including but not limited to: measurement of customer satisfaction and perception of quality, measurement of cost effectiveness and productivity, and reduction/elimination of non-quality improvement processes and unnecessary redundancies.
Facilitates the CQI (Continuous Quality Improvement) process in each section of the laboratory by working with appropriate staff to identify key indicators of service, establish methods for monitoring performance of each, and to initiate improvement activities. Facilitates the implementation of processes to assure the best quality outcome is delivered to customers/clients in a customer-focused manner.
Establishes and maintains consistent standards and methodologies to support Laboratory Services customer requirements.
Provides support to the supervisors and coordinators to target, measure, and report quality improvement opportunities. Facilitates, trains, and/or sets up reams for problem solving, implementation, and follow-up.
Facilitates the revision of all laboratory policy and procedure manuals to meet standards of all regulatory agencies, to assure consistency of practices throughout the laboratory department, and to improve the quality of patient results and reports.
Reviews and analyzes activities, costs and operational data to determine progress towards Laboratory goals and financial responsibilities. Develops operating and capital budgets and manages cost budgets in excess of $8 million and gross revenues in excess of $140 million per year.
Facilitates with implementation of the new model of care into all laboratory services to ensure consistency of quality management throughout the TMC Healthcare system.
Assists TMC Administrative leaders with planning and development of workflow processes to improve laboratory services to all customers. Supports and nurtures Lean efforts within the team
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) years experience in a Clinical Laboratory; preferably in a lead or supervisory, or management role.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS_ASCP) Certification or equivalent; or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT-ASCP), or equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory protocols and best practices.
- Knowledge of industry best practices and products while keeping abreast of new industry trends and technologies through seminars, workshops and professional affiliations.
- Knowledge of laboratory regulations and procedures to follow to ensure quality.
- Knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (Sunquest preferred) and their integration into laboratory operations.
- Knowledge of leadership best practices and standard disciplines in project management.
- Skill in exercising a high degree of independent and decision-making authority as they relate to supported instrumentation and technologies.
- Skill in analyzing systems and making recommendations for improvement.
- Skill in evaluating personnel performance, providing guidance and training, and coaching for positive reinforcement.
- Skill in developing and administering budgets.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a dynamic environment and adapt to change quickly and positively.
- Ability to organize and analyze situations and projects while dealing with ambiguity and maintaining confidentiality standards.
- Ability to provide leadership skills while building cross functional teams to provide creative thinking and problem solving for issues and concerns.
- Ability to prepare communications and reports which effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints from employees, patients and/or their representatives, and the general public.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints from employees, patients and/or their representatives, and the general public.