LPN - Outpatient Hospice
Adult and pediatric patients are cared for as outpatients in their place of residence with access to a hospice nurse 24/7. We provide a care team that includes RNs, home health aides, social workers, chaplains and providers that provide personal care to patients and complimentary therapy with massage. Additionally we have comprehensive volunteer services and a bereavement program. We also have a pediatric hospice program and provide hospice services in the Benson area.
Performs assigned nursing procedures for the comfort and well-being of patients. P rovides selected aspects of nursing care under direct supervision of a RN.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Provides direct patient care, assists patients with activities of daily living encouraging independent behavior when appropriate, evaluates outcomes, consults with other specialists as required and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care.
Reinforces the philosophy, policies and procedures of the hospital to patients and their families.
Consults with registered nurse concerning instructional needs of patients and implements instructional activities of therapists, pharmacists and other professionals.
Demonstrates procedures and testing materials and encourages patients to participate in procedure and technique.
Assists with the instructional needs of patients and offers informational material, explaining it to them and pointing out special areas of concern.
Keeps patient records current and confidential; records type of instruction given and other pertinent information on patient’s chart.
Notifies physician on call regarding any unusual or unexpected events, changes in patient’s condition, problems requiring direct physician consultation.
Evaluates outcomes of patient care, consults with registered nurse as required and adjusts nursing care processes as necessary to ensure optimal patient care; participates in the development and implementation of the patient care plan.
Provides appropriate, direct patient care in assigned area(s) utilizing aseptic technique.
Assists physicians with examinations, procedures and other processes related to direct patient care.
Consults (under the direct supervision of the registered nurse) with Infection control concerning the implementation of infection control program, identification and isolation of infections.
Inspects area daily for compliance with policies and procedures, regulations, and standards and takes corrective action when violations occur; identifies and resolves workplace safety issues.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited school of Licensed Practical Nurse or technical or vocational school.
EXPERIENCE: Preferred two (2) years of practical nursing experience.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: LPN license permitting work in the state of Arizona and Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required. Additional certifications may be required per department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of nursing practice and procedures for optimum patient care.
- Skill in providing patient care in a hospital setting.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action; ability to speak effectively.
- Ability to calculate figures and compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs and ability to apply basic algebraic concepts.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations .