Lab Manager - Benson Hospital
The Laboratory Manager is responsible for directing and coordinates activities of workers
engaged in performing chemical, microscopic, and bacteriologic tests to obtain data for use in
diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases. Assist physicians by providing clinical
laboratory testing including, but not limited to, analysis in the areas of clinical chemistries,
hematology, serology, microbiology, etc. Primary responsibilities include, planning, organizing,
and directing the overall operations of the department.
Ensure the services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are carried out in an efficient
manner. Maintaining performance improvement activities within the department and effective
departmental operations in compliance with all state, federal and local regulatory laws,
standards, and protocols.
1. Work with hospital administration on planning, organizing, and directing Laboratory
operations and ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
2. Make daily rounds in the Laboratory department to judge effectiveness of operations,
utilization of personnel and supplies, and general ethical and professional environment.
3. Provide day to day leadership and management that reflects the adopted mission and core
values of the organization.
4. Secure and maintain the physical facilities, equipment and supplies which are required to
carry out effective patient care and create an optimum physical environment.
5. Oversee departments budgets for personnel, operating expenses, and capital equipment.
Responsible for fiscal operations of the department.
6. Oversees, develops, and implements department policies and procedures as needed.
7. Consult other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance
8. Direct and participate in the human resource management function for the departments by
coordinating the selection, promotion, orientation, and performance appraisal processes.
9. Responsible for satisfying ancillary department requirements to maintain CMS and other
pertinent accreditation including QA and PI.
10. Communicate administrative directive to department personnel.
11. Promote effective intradepartmental relationships.
12. Attend and participates in hospital committees, as appropriate.
13. Maintain a progressive strategic plan for future of the departments.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
15. Provide a safe environment for personnel to work in.
pg. 2 Lab Manager Updated: JStrange Approved HR: ADickey
16. Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
1. Knowledge of molecular diagnostics preferred
2. Demonstrated leadership ability
3. Excellent problem-solving skills; demonstrated strength intact and diplomacy with
internal and external collaborators
4. Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment
5. Able to work collaboratively in a cross-functional structure
6. Ability to advocate strategically effective solutions to complex problems and to influence
and negotiate solutions across the organization
7. Effective verbal and written communication skills
8. Project management skills preferred
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. MT registered or eligible.
2. Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology. Minimum of three years’ experience as a
supervisor and/or manager of a clinical laboratory operation. Previously specialized
experience of three years in Microbiology and Blood Banks is preferred.
3. CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) Certification or ability to complete.