Lab Assistant, Per Diem - Microbiology
This position is responsible for the receipt of biological specimens into the department, preparation of samples for analytical testing, and performing testing. This position reports to department supervisor and works closely with lab technical personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Exhibits excellence in customer service through appropriate attitude and interaction with all patients, visitors and staff.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMCH organizational and department-specific safety and confidentiality policies and standards.
Performs basic technical processes as assigned, based on specific department requirements. Performs testing under direct supervision in a timely manner according to established policies, meeting performance standards and knowledge level determined for that testing.
Logs specimens into laboratory and Laboratory Information System (LIS); receives or collects specimens and labels them appropriately
Storing specimens for future reference or discarding them after testing.
Coordinates and routes specimens to proper area of laboratory. Tracks and locates missing specimens.
Demonstrates an understanding of the computer systems used in the department. Generates work lists, as required.
Performs basic maintenance checks on laboratory equipment.
Performs a variety of routine laboratory processes and procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules.
Uses appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious, radioactive and toxic substances.
Participates in the Laboratory quality control, safety, and preventive maintenance programs.
Demonstrates awareness and complies with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements related to their area of responsibility.
Performs related duties as assigned, within established guidelines to meet expected turnaround times.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
EXPERIENCE : One (1) month related lab experience.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION : None required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
· Skill in maintaining, processing and recording lab samples and specimens.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
· Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
· Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.