Imaging Technologist - PT - Benson Hospital
Benson Hospital Position Description
Job Title: Imagining Technologist- Multi Modality Department: Diagnostic Imaging
Reports To: Director of Lab/ Diagnostic Imaging
The Imaging Technologist performs high quality procedures that require ingenuity,
initiative and independent judgment. Duties include and are not limited to performing
routine test, monitoring the quality of tests, and obtaining maintenance service on
equipment. must routinely perform procedures in these modalities. Also responsible for
performing all CT examinations for assigned patients which include adolescents, adults
and older adults. Carries out functions in a manner consistent with total quality care.
1. Provide maximum customer satisfaction.
2. Accomplish the mission and meet the goals of the Hospital and Imaging
3. Assist patients, Imaging Department and Hospital Staff. Work at a level not
requiring constant supervision.
4. Conduct daily department operations efficiently and correctly in accordance with
policies and procedures.
5. Operate within Physicians orders either written or verbal to perform a wide
variety of radiographic procedures.
6. Operate upper level advanced imaging equipment and be familiar with associated
equipment, procedures and techniques.
7. Operate a variety of advanced imaging as well as general x-ray equipment.
8. Efficiently operate computed radiography equipment as well as film and film
9. Exercise independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative to produce images that
are correct and diagnostic.
10. Apply ALARA principle to limit radiation exposure. Transport patients safely
and efficiently as needed.
11. Receive and transmit various information including images, interpretive reports
and prescriptions for services.
12. Accurately input and manipulate a variety of data sets using information
management and manual file systems.
13. Monitor the X-ray to transcription workflow; promote timely reporting.
14. Provide excellent customer service while assisting patients, Imaging Department
and Hospital Staff.
15. Apply training, experience and skill in the correct operation of all general x-ray
equipment and perform related procedures.
16. Apply training, experience and skill in the correct operation of all advanced
imaging equipment and conduct related procedures.
17. Apply training, experience and skill in the correct operation of all upper level
advanced imaging equipment and perform related procedures.
18. Operate within Physicians orders either written or verbal to perform a wide
variety of radiographic procedures.
19. Exercise independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative in the application of
ionizing radiation in a safe judicious manner.
20. Produce images that are diagnostic with correct exposure, positioning and
anatomic markers. Apply ALARA principle to limit radiation exposure.
21. Adhere to the Intravenous Contrast Protocol. Review questionnaires and lab
results. Contact Physicians as needed.
22. Perform venipuncture in accordance with hospital procedure and policy. Observe
established safety measures including Universal Precautions as needed. Employ
aseptic techniques as required following Benson Hospital Policies.
23. Efficiently operate computed radiography equipment as well as film and film
24. Make patients and family members comfortable and explain procedures and
equipment to alleviate anxiety.
25. Transfer patients between x-ray tables, beds, wheel chairs, chairs, and gurneys
carefully. Use proper body mechanics and ask for assistance wherever needed.
26. Observe patients while transporting and conducting procedures noting any
changes in condition or mental status. Report any changes to the proper authority.
27. Assess patient’s condition, medical history and ability to tolerate requested
procedures. Seek clarification and/or modification from proper authority.
28. Conduct daily department operations efficiently and correctly in accordance with
policies and procedures.
29. Schedule studies correctly gathering all required information. Provide adequate
patient instruction for special procedure preparation.
30. Monitor the X-ray to transcription workflow; promote timely reporting.
31. Operate and handle all equipment with due care and safety observing operational
and mechanical limits. Monitor equipment operation and report any malfunctions
to the supervisor. May arrange for equipment service if necessary.
32. Maintain a safe, clean, comfortable work environment.
33. Actively communicate problems and incidents to proper authority. These include
but are not limited to changes in patient condition, activities not routine,
complaints and safety issues.
34. Directly supervise radiologic technologist students. Provide
instruction/orientation to students and new employees.
35. Maintains adequate control over film records, read and unread. Maintain
radiology file system. Follow up on outstanding loaned films.
36. Comply with the requirements of the Benson Hospital Corporate Compliance
37. Comply with all requirements of HIPPA.
38. Perform all other duties as assigned within the scope of Diagnostic Imaging
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Possess excellent human relation and communication skills.
2. Be able to work at a technical level not requiring constant supervision.
3. Must be willing and able to function in a team environment.
4. Maintain registration through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
and hold current valid Arizona State license.
5. Maintain current Computed Tomography License. (Must be able to obtain within
one year of employment.)
6. Meet bi-annual requirements for continuing education.
7. Possess experience and / or training in upper level advanced imaging equipment
8. Possess experience and / or training in advanced imaging equipment and
procedures. Includes Computed Tomography and / or Magnetic Resonance
9. Possess experience and / or training in all general radiographic equipment and
10. Be familiar with power injectors and their safe operation.
11. Be comfortable integrating new technologies.
12. Be willing to cross train in other modalities as needed.
13. Have a basic working knowledge of computers and basic office software.
14. Must be comfortable working with digital information systems.
15. Must be able and willing to work Holidays, weekends and take call.
16. Maintain CPR certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the