Histology Assistant - PT - Gross Room
Assists histology and pathology procedures, including gross examination of tissues. Provides care and maintenance of laboratory specimens, records, supplies, equipment and morgue samples.
Exhibits excellence in customer service through appropriate attitude and interaction with all patients, visitors and staff.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMCH organizational and department-specific safety and confidentiality policies and standards.
Logs specimens into laboratory and Laboratory Information System (LIS); receives or collects specimens and labels them appropriately;
Storing specimens for future reference or discarding them after testing.
Labels and distributes case slides to the pathologists per assigned schedules.
Performs tracking functions using Ventana’s Vantage software.
Coordinates and routes specimens to proper area of laboratory.
Processes requisitions for pathology and laboratory services.
Stores and disposes of surgical and autopsy specimens.
Photographs such subjects as gross autopsy specimens.
Cuts, stains, and processes specimens of human tissue for frozen sections.
Maintains cryostat and staining set up for frozens and touch preps.
Files slides and blocks as they are made available from multiple sources (daily cases, send-out returns, etc.).
Performs a variety of routine laboratory processes and procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules.
Uses appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious, radioactive and toxic substances.
Participates in the Laboratory quality control, safety, and preventive maintenance programs.
Performs related duties as assigned, within established guidelines to meet expected turnaround times.
Performs a variety of duties in Pathology, Cytology, Histology, and Autopsy records. Maintains phones and responds to requests for information. Manages morgue book daily, ensuring paperwork is complete and accurate for each decedent, resolving errors as needed. Follows up with family or authorized party to release decedents timely. Completes release paperwork. Provides support and assists pathologists as requested. Manages face sheets for billing purposes, coordinates and completes outside consultant requests, pulling blocks and slides as needed for send out or further pathologist review. Prepares various tumor board information each week and assists with legal preservation. Pulls samples to send out to other labs then records when samples are returned; enters or retrieves data from computer files, scans and labels a variety of samples
EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
EXPERIENCE: One (1) month related lab experience.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: None required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of lab processes and regulations regarding chain of custody and disinfection/sterilization.
- Skill in maintaining, processing and recording lab samples and specimens.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.