Director Human Resources - Northern Cochise Community Hospital
Summary: The Director of Human Resources for Northern Cochise Community Hospital will develop and oversee policies and procedures and forms related to HR. They will manage recruitment and workforce planning, retention programs, new hire orientation, employee relations, personnel record management, organizational development, benefit administration and payroll.
Responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resources functions at NCCH:
- With guidance from the CEO, provides ongoing effective leadership for the day to day operations of human resources.
- Responsible for recruitment and retention of NCCH employees.
- Responsible for Human Resources budget.
- Tracks metrics and submits reports as requested such as Board Report to CEO.
- Maintains responsibility for compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters and employment practices.
- Prepares and submits reports as required to the Department of Labor and other state and federal agencies. (i.e. EEOC annual report)
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures compliance.
- Annually reviews and updates Human Resources policies and procedures. Communicates changes in the personnel policies and procedures to ensure that proper compliance is followed.
- Implements Employee Handbook, educates all staff and trains all managers annually.
- Works with CEO to oversee the People Priority of the organizational Strategic Plan.
- Works with managers and HR staff to keep job descriptions updated.
- Develops and maintains a human resource information system that meets the organization's personnel information needs. Ensures filling system is in compliance with law.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Works closely with Employee Health on required items for new hires and ongoing employment.
- Continuously reviews productivity and efficiency of staffing models and recommends changes where necessary in support of Quality Priority and Financial Priority.
- Ensures Learning Management System (LMS) meets regulatory and compliance standards for annual education of staff.
- Tracks all required staff licensure and certifications, and ensures survey readiness of personnel files.
Assists Managers with Employee Relations:
- Works with managers to clearly outline performance expectations for NCCH Staff.
- Creates and enforces NCCH’s code of conduct.
- Defines, communicates and implements a consistent process for staff to share concerns and complaints regarding their work environment.
- Defines, communicates and implements a consistent process for employee disciplines and corrective actions by managers for unsatisfactory performance or behavior.
- Ensures legal compliance when investigating, disciplining, or separating employment from staff by monitoring and implementing applicable employment federal and state requirements;
- Conducts workplace investigates as determined, maintains confidentiality as possible and appropriate, and maintains and files records of investigation.
- Identifies area of liability, addresses to represent and protect both employee and organization interests.
- Enforces policies and completes investigations in areas to include but not limited to: sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation or intimidation.
- Takes lead on accommodation or leave requests which may require ADAA interactive process or FMLA leave.
- Oversees suspension from work or reasonable suspicion drug screens.
- Drafts all employee disciplines or corrective actions, follows up with Managers to ensure performance improvement and documents as appropriate.
- With CEO approval, prepares and signs all involuntary separation from employment letters and disperses as situation requires.
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the CEO, on personnel matters.
- If needed, represents NCCH in mediation, arbitration and other legal hearings regarding employment law concerns under the CEO’s directive with legal counsel.
- Oversees engagement of staff to include turnover and implements new strategies for improved engagement.
Oversees for compensation administration, assists with Position Control:
- Participates with Chief Financial Officer in position control. Assists managers with identifying best staffing models for department.
- Prepares and administers the organization's wage and salary program to ensure employees are paid fairly.
- Makes recommendations to CEO for wage increases. Makes recommendation for messaging of wage changes.
- Identifies internal compression issues, corrects as approved.
- Determines wages for new hires, approves on all preliminary hires or wage increases.
- Uses various methods and techniques to collect benchmark data and make data driven decisions on compensation.
- Conduct ongoing research into emerging trends, issues and best practices to stay competitive.
- Ensure that compensation practices are in compliance with current federal and state law.
- Coordinates with Chief Financial Officer on 1099/contracted workers to ensure compliance.
Oversees Retention Programs:
- Monitors turnover rates, reports off to department managers and suggests strategies to retain staff.
- Assists with scholarship program, to include participation in Golf Tournament and committee.
- Determines creative solutions to staff morale concerns, shares any concerns with SAHA Network Diretcor.
- Identify, plan, coordinate, and execute initiatives to build employee engagement and morale.
- Monitors employee engagement, and promotes engagement amongst staff.
- Participates and supports programs by Employee Health Nurse and/or Community Relations.
- Develops strong relationships with other departments to establish the Human Resources department as a business partner.
- Assists in reminding and celebrating milestones, such as anniversaries, birthdays and special occasions to include hospital week.
- Monitors any gifts to employees to ensure they are fair and compliant.
- Acts as a resource for conflict resolution and employee advocacy, takes concerns and complaints to Human Resource Manager.
- Develops, implements and maintains an Employee Recognition Program.
- Assists managers, in applicable departments, in promoting career advancement opportunities such as additional education or training.
- Develop a data collection tool, and conduct exit and/or stay interviews in person or by mail with employees that voluntarily separate from NCCH.
- Monitors performance appraisal program and reviews all documents for fairness, clarity of language, timeliness, and confirms signatures and dates on all documents prior to filing. Tracks and records scores and receipt dates of all appraisal documents prior to filing.
Works very closely with Payroll and Benefits Manager. Assists with open enrollment and helps employees understand the benefits available to them.
Participates on committees and special projects.
Other duties as may be assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in HR or related field required. Five (5) years in a HR position required. Prefer HR experience in a hospital setting or in healthcare industry.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical professions, legal issues, regulatory agency requirements, etc. (i.e. state, federal, CMS, state licensing agencies) that may directly impact who can or cannot be considered for employment based on licensure or certification requirements within the various healthcare disciplines or based upon various business lines and their specific licensure requirements (Critical Access Hospital, Rural Health Clinics).
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations relating to employment (i.e. EEO, ADAAA, FMLA, etc.), benefit plans, compensation programs, and payroll.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, plus presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Professional demeanor and business acumen partnered with attention to the human element and emotional intelligence.
- Skills with computer software/hardware for HR Information Systems, Payroll Systems, and Microsoft Office programs.
- Diligent and firm with high ethical standards.
- Ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential issues with diplomacy and sensitivity.
- Maintains and develops professional and technical knowledge through NCCH management meetings, educational workshops, and professional publications.
- Must be able to communicate calmly and effectively under emotional situations, listen intently, negotiate, and be flexible.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
PHR or SPHR certification preferred.
To apply, please visit https://ncchjobs.easyapply.co/