Associate General Counsel
Under direction of the Chief Legal Officer, the Associate General Counsel provides expert legal services for TMC HealthCare (TMCH). Gives legal guidance and opinions based on experience, expertise, legal authority, and organizational strategies. Primary areas of responsibility include contract negotiation, real estate, hospital and physician practice operations, and support for compliance, privacy, corporate/governance, medical staff issues, and claims/litigation management.
Associate General Counsel
· Works closely with senior executive officers, leadership team and management to advise them on changes in laws and regulations, evaluate their impact, and develop TMCH's positions on such changes.
· Negotiates and drafts complex documentation for key operational areas, providing support for physician contracting across the TMCH system, including subsidiary hospitals and physician groups.
· Provides expert legal services to subsidiaries and departments, and/or performs special legal assignments of major importance in a highly complex legal field.
· Creates and finds interpretations and strategies that can accomplish the uncommon in the law.
· Providing legal advice and guidance on a wide array of matters including medical staff issues, HIPAA, CMS Conditions of Participation, Medicare reimbursement rules, cyber security incident matters, as well as hospital operations issues such as advance directives or informed consent. Frequently needs to give immediate answers from accumulated knowledge and experience without the opportunity to research the law.
· Provides support for real estate transactions and issues, including negotiating and drafting design/build and construction agreements, leases, real estate purchase agreements, and other real estate documents and other transaction documents.
· Provides support to the contracting department as needed on complex contracts, contracting disputes, and development of contracting tools. Responsible for the review and preparation of contracts.
· Provides support to the risk management department as needed on claims and litigation management. Oversees case progress and outside counsel services. Provides internal support for legal proceedings including in-depth understanding of the organization’s operations and interrelationships.
· Provides support to the compliance department, including advice and guidance on legal and regulatory issues.
· Prepares and files, as appropriate, documents for the formation and operation of business entities, such as corporations, limited liability companies, etc.
· Oversees and administers the Office of General Counsel, including management of personnel.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by Chief Legal Officer.
· Exhibits excellence in customer service through appropriate attitude and interaction with all internal clients and outside parties, as well as patients, visitors, and staff.
· Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
· Adheres to TMCH organizational and department-specific safety and confidentiality policies and standards.
EDUCATION: Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited school of law.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) or more years of experience in healthcare and business law.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Admission, or eligible for admission, to the State Bar of Arizona.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· The candidate must have exceptional writing and critical thinking skills.
· Thorough knowledge and working skills in the area of contract law, litigation management, and hospital/health system operations.
· Ability to identify and define legal issues, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; ability to interpret an extensive variety of case law, and work within complex legal principles.
· Ability to respond to sensitive and/or confidential inquiries or complaints from regulatory agencies or the judicial system; ability to write contracts and other legal documents in a clear, concise, and understanding manner, incorporating the applicable principles of law;
· Ability to rapidly assimilate and analyze complex business and legal information from many sources concerning legal matters and apply principles of deductive reasoning.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 31144