Associate General Counsel
TMC Health. TMC Health is an independent non-profit healthcare system located in Tucson, Arizona. Its flagship hospital, Tucson Medical Center, is the market leader in Tucson with over 600 beds with a large labor and delivery practice, an inpatient hospice, a busy emergency department, a pediatric department, and dynamic surgical and cardiology service lines. The TMC Health system also has two rural hospitals and a new hospital under construction, as well as over 100 employed physicians and nurse practitioners. Because it is independent and locally governed, TMC Health is forward-looking, nimble and innovative, participating in an accountable care organization and several joint ventures with physicians, and has physician co-management agreements for its major surgical services. To learn more about TMC Health, visit our website .
The Office of General Counsel. The TMC Health Office of General Counsel is a source of trusted legal and strategic advice and counsel to clinical and business leaders, and strives to provide responsive, credible, and creative support for all of the organization’s activities. It consists of two attorneys, two paralegals, and an administrative assistant, and offices with the Compliance Department and the Risk Management Department on the main campus of Tucson Medical Center.
The Associate General Counsel. The Associate General Counsel will provide legal advice and support across the TMC Health system, with an emphasis on support for Tucson Medical Center, physician contracting, compliance. Other areas to be supported by the Associate General Counsel include real estate, risk and claims management, and fundraising and community outreach. The Associate General Counsel reports to the Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, oversees the Office of General Counsel, and works closely with both the Compliance Department and the Risk Management Department. The Associate General Counsel works directly with senior leaders across the organization, and should be comfortable working independently as well as collaboratively in team settings. As a member of the Office of General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel will be a recognized leader across the organization.
The Associate General Counsel should have:
- A good working knowledge of the operational and strategic issues and challenges of hospitals and integrated delivery systems.
- The ability to develop solutions and recommendations quickly and accurately. The Office of General Counsel does not simply identify legal problems, it proposes and implements solutions.
- A pragmatic business focus. TMC Health is a growing healthcare system, and its legal team is essential to facilitating its growth.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with TMC Health leadership, independent physicians, and outside legal counsel and consultants. TMC Health is built on strong relationships among its staff, physicians, and the Tucson community.
- The ability to prioritize and manage a busy workload in a fast-paced organization. The Office of General Counsel supports both business operations and clinical operations, and frequently must provide counsel when the organization and its patients need legal guidance urgently.
- Confidence and the ability to inspire trust, and be comfortable handling a wide range of issues. The TMC Health legal team is expected to handle most of the legal issues that arise, and relies on outside legal counsel primarily for specialized services.
Successful candidates should have at least seven years of healthcare experience, preferably with in-house experience, and should obtain an Arizona license as soon as possible.